Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





28 January 2009

Second Week Update

We're well into the second week at home with two babies and it is going so much better than I ever dreamed. I had no idea that it would be way more stressful and hard to bring home the first baby, compared to bringing home the second. The only thing making this time difficult is the recovery from the c-section. Otherwise, everything else is falling into place.

Skogen is a much much different baby than Maida was. I am having a hard time figuring things out with him at times. He wants to eat ALL THE TIME and even wants me to feed him to sleep. He won't go to sleep with his pacifier or in his bed. It gets really frustrating after a while. I was so desperate tonight, that I put him to bed on his tummy!! I know that's a no-no, so that's why I'm up. I am keeping myself awake so that I can go in and check on him every once-in-a-while. Pathetic, I know. Skogen also cries! Maida never cried when she was little and so learning to deal with a crying baby has been hard too, especially when he doesn't like his bouncer or his swing, so "dealing with him" means holding him all the time. Hopefully that will be a habit that we are able to break fairly easily and fairly quickly.

I ventured out of the house for the first time on my own with the babes on Monday afternoon. I took them up to Erik's school to eat lunch with him and show Skogen off. I have a phobia of too many people holding Skogen at once (you know, the kind of thing where one person asks to hold him and then they will pass him to someone else and they will give him to another, and pretty soon you have no idea where your baby is or who's got him), so I put him in my moby wrap so that no one would ask to hold him. I felt bad about doing that, because I know that everyone would have loved to hold him and love on him, but I just couldn't fight my motherly instinct to keep him close. Maybe when he's a little older, I'll take him up and pass him around. As far as getting out of the house with two kids went, it was hard. I don't think I'll go out again alone with them for a while, at least until I heal more from the surgery.

Everyone has asked about Maida. I'm happy to report that she has been a little princess. The first week was rough while my mom was here because Maida thought Grandma was only here to play with her, so if Grandma did anything else, Maida got upset and whiny. Since Grandma left, though, she has been so perfect. She is such a great helper for me and loves Skogen so much. He's the first one she wants to see in the morning when she wakes up and the last one she says goodnight to at night. It's so fun for me to see the growing love she has for her brother.

I don't have any pictures to post now, but hopefully we'll get some more loaded soon. Thanks for all of the thoughts, prayers, emails, messages, cards, phone calls, and gifts. This has been such a special time for us and it means a lot to us that you all are apart of it too.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the birth of your baby boy! I have been watching your blog since our due dates are so close and especially now that I am having a c-section. Thank you for the positive comments. I am nervous about it and the recovery, as I know that you were. I just keep telling myself at least I know that I am going to have a c-section and I won't have to be in labor for hours and end in an emergency one (like you had to with Maida). It is encouraging to see someone I know go through it just fine. And that's not to mention that you have one already at home! Sounds like you guys are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a lot harder to go out with two. I found it really hard when Emily grew too big for her infant seat (she was 6 months old) and I then had two kids to carry and put places. I couldn't just set her infant seat in carts ect.. anymore. You will get the hang of it though. It is so fun having two. Mine finally play and interact together a lot and that is a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:33 PM

    Hey Kara. It sounds like Skogen is a lot like Christian was when he was a newborn. Constantly needing to be held, not sleeping if you put him down, and crying... He got over the crying when he was 8 weeks, but the sleeping thing didn't get solved until 6 months when we let him "cry it out" in his bed for a couple of hours a night. I know you guys are doing an excellent job, but good luck!

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin