Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





30 March 2010

23 Weeks**

** Note: this post is all about baby and may be very boring to most of you. Don't feel bad if you don't read any of this... :)

This morning I had my 23 week doctor appointment. It went GREAT! The more I meet with and talk with Dr. G, the more I am so amazed at his knowledge, his confidence, and his willingness to meet the individual needs of each patient. He is an amazing doctor! I can't even begin to explain how unique and different he is than all the other doctors I've seen.

Today we started the appointment by listening to baby's heart and guess what?! There were TWO heartbeats!!! Ha, don't be worried, I'm not having twins. The little machine (I can't remember what this is called!) was just picking up my heartbeat, too, but it scared me at first! Then Dr. G measured me and I'm measuring a week ahead. I cringed when he said this because I really really don't want a big baby. I want to be able to try for a VBAC! Seeing my reaction, he reassured me that this may just because this is my third baby and you tend to get bigger faster with second, third, fourth.... babies. Next appointment I have my diabetes test and he said that there may be a reason, other than gestational diabetes, that I'm having bigger babies. He said that we would look into some diet issues and imbalances and he would help me keep my weight gain (and baby's weight) down. I have never heard of an OB caring this much and doing this for a patient - wouldn't most OB's just jump to repeat C-Section instead of going through all of this work and time?! Like I said, he's amazing!

We talked about contractions. He wanted to know if I have been having any and I admitted that I thought I had been having some. He wasn't surprised. He says that contractions come earlier with second, third, fourth... babies and to expect some pretty painful contractions in the coming weeks, and until I deliver, but not to be worried about them. He also reassured me that he was completely comfortable taking this pregnancy as it comes and waiting until the end until we assess things, as far as a scheduled C-Section or VBAC goes. I can't even begin to describe the feelings I have surrounding this issue. I have found a caregiver, a professional, an OB/GYN who actually believes in me and believes in my body. Just the fact that he is even considering giving me the chance to make a life-long dream of mine come true, is just simply amazing to me. THANK YOU DR. G!!! I'm more content and comfortable about this pregnancy and birth than any of the three so far because I know that I am in good hands and he truly will do what's best for me and what's best for the baby.

1 comment:

  1. wonderful!!! and baby news is ALWAYS an exciting blog post:)

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin