Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





08 March 2010

To Find Out or Not to Find Out

On Wednesday of this week we have our 20 week ultrasound. This is the ultrasound where we could find out the sex of our baby, if we wanted to. Up until this point, we have been very convinced that we would not find out the gender of the baby, but recent conversations have almost swayed us the other way. I need some advice!
Should we find out? Why or why not?

*********************************************************
I'm not as creative as Sarah with her color coordinated days (which I thought was such a great idea, by the way)! At my place we play with old cardboard boxes and ripped off pieces of cardboard as babies. :) Here are bits and pieces of our weekend...


Skogen loves his chair that Deda made him for his birthday.

Playing school

Catching bubbles

New flip flops for summer!
Lots of snuggle time with Daddy

Overall it was a great weekend. We enjoyed all day Sunday with Erik, which included a great potluck lunch after church. We also took a two hour family nap in the afternoon, which was awesome, and then got some stuff done around the house in the evening.


6 comments:

  1. I love your blog header-- so cute! That is such a hard decision Kara. I never want to know and Joel always does so he has won the last two times. With Kenan we weren't 100% going to find out but as soon as she went there I saw it and could tell. I just knew he was a boy. Emily we found out that way too-- I had soo many ultrasounds while in the hospital with my appendix that I saw an exact 3 lines and knew. Abby was a suprise and I loved it. Either way you do it is just as special. I felt like I got to know Emily and Kenan a little better while they were still in me just knowing it was my little girl/boy and referring to them as such. Having the doctor say it's a girl was fun though too. Either way is a win/win! I can't believe you are 20 weeks already. Where does the time go? Kenan will be 8 weeks on Friday. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blogging always amazes me!! you put it together so well with bits and pieces from photos to little stories. all day to day things and special moments. it is a beautiful reflection of your families life. best of luck with your pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tough decision!! I think that if we have a 3rd, we'll make it a surprise. We knew with Leah and Logan...I agree with the first comment, that I felt like I already knew my kids while I was pregnant...call them by name, decorate their room, etc. But there are few surprises in life...whatever you guys decide will be so special. It'll still be a surprise during an ultrasound...it helped me get through the second half of the pregnancy, having that pick me up.
    can't wait to hear or see the munchkin!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i still vote for waiting. now that we know, i'm feeling very unsettled (like this is a little too real:). i'd gotten pretty used to talking to "baby." It's a little odd knowing the gender now (although, i imagine that will go away soon). i agree w/the other comment on how there are so few genuine surprises. you could do what we did and find out and not tell anyone. then you can bond a little like the other's suggested and still surprise everyone else (but i've quickly learned this is REALLY hard:). Good luck! I can't wait to see your precious little baby's pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! We didn't find out with the first two and it was so fun that way! But...this time...since we know it's our last, I really want to know. Mostly because I'd like a girl and if it's a boy, I want to have a chance to love the idea ahead of time...which I know I will! It seems like whenever I hear you're expecting, we are too. We had one May 8, 2007, then another October '08, and now we're expecting in August. Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I would have read this post before your appointment, I would have given a big vote to not finding out! We didn't find out with Ella and absolutely loved the anticipation. Did you find out ahead of time with your two little ones? Glad to hear the appointment went well! I look forward to reading more updates in the near future.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin