Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





04 March 2010

New Doctor

*** UPDATE: After driving the 30 minute drive to the clinic, I had already ruled the doctor out. It was a long haul (driving 60 miles per hour the entire way, with only two stop lights). However, the minute I met the doctor, I knew that he was the right choice for me. Before I left, I transferred all of my medical records and my care to him. One thing I thought was really neat was that when we arrived at the clinic, Dr. G was actually over at the hospital delivering twins!

Dr. G is probably in his 50's or 60's. He's soft spoken, down to earth, smiles all the time, not over bearing, very intelligent, and comes with a lot of experience. He's very patient and took tons of time with me. He had his own practice in Michigan for 17 years with his wife (who is also an OB/GYN!), but moved to Minnesota eight years ago to be closer to his wife's family. Ever since he's worked for the Allina hospitals and clinics. He's a HUGE supporter of VBACs (vaginal birth after C-Section) and says he's in the minority of doctors who practice VBACs regularly (and even does VBACs after two C-Sections!). In his 25 years of practice, after delivering hundreds of babies, he's only seen three uterine ruptures. He seems to really know the research and was very helpful in answering my questions. The clinic he works at is brand new and super duper nice. It is attached to the Saint Fransis Hospital, however Dr. G also has privileges and delivers at Abbott Northwestern (where we really want to have this baby and where Maida was born).

As far as my own personal situation goes, he's betting that I will have another big baby. If that is the case, he says a C-Section would be in my best interest. If for some reason we get to the 38 weeks mark and he predicts the baby to be a smaller baby, he would be willing to let me try a VBAC, especially if I went into labor before my due date. It is very highly unlikely, though, that I will have a small baby, or go into labor before my due date, so I have kind of ruled out the VBAC. I asked him about letting me go into labor before a planned C-Section and he was open to that, however didn't think that the amount of time I would be in labor would help out the baby at all. He is open to whatever comes and thinks that we should just take it one step at a time, starting with an ultrasound next Wednesday. He says we will weigh options and discuss as I progress as we don't know what the pregnancy will present. I am SO comfortable with this plan and feel extremely relaxed and happy with his practice. I can't wait for Erik to meet him. He's the type of person I wish everyone, especially all pregnant women, could meet. I didn't know a doctor this nice and this concerned for the health and good of every individual patient ever existed. In fact, I wish that every medical student could do a rotation under him. I think there is a lot to learn from someone like him.

Oh, and I should mention that the kids did AWESOME while we were there. Dr. G and his nurse loved the kids and helped keep them entertained. I brought some fruit snacks (which are a special treat in at our house) and they sat quietly while Dr. G and I talked. Prayers definitely answered in all aspects - thank you for praying.

I'm meeting with a new doctor today. Pray it goes well. I'm sooooo nervous. I don't know if I'll remember what to say or how to say it. I want to come off as knowing what I'm talking about, but I want his education at the same time. I need a BIG boost of confidence right now. I'll have the kids with me, so that makes it even more crazy. Last night I had a horrible dream that when the doctor walked into the room, he was in his birthday suit!!! I freaked out. Ah!



6 comments:

  1. you look so cute! good luck with the new doctor today- you'll do great:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lish! I'm on my way (my hands are shaking!!!)......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying. Praying that you get the info that you want and are able to ask your questions and discuss what you want with the doctor. Praying that the doctor will be open with his opinions as well as listen to yours. Praying that the kids are on their best behavior! Let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy you found a great doctor...its the best feeling! I met my doctor 5 or 6 weeks before Eden was born, and I knew 5 min. into the appointment that I wanted him to deliver Eden (even though he was a boy and I thought i would ONLY want a girl!) Sometimes you just find someone who fits! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah!! So glad you've found the doctor for you. Awesome to hear his experience/opinions on VBACs. Just curious, where in Michigan did he practice?

    Praying that all continues to go well with Baby #3. I will also pray specifically for you to have the delivery of your dreams, whatever that might be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beth, he told me where he practiced in Michigan, but I can't remember! I'm sorry! I know that he did his residency at the William Beaumont Hospital, but that's all I can recall. :)

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin